Almost every health-related article will tell you: Drink enough water to stay hydrated! What is enough water? How many bottles of water should I drink a day? Why should we keep our body to stay hydrated? On average, a person shall drink 2.7 – 3.7 liter / 9 -13 cups a day to keep hydrated.
Read on to find out more.
Table of contents
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
How Much Water Should I Drink Per Day?
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) published the recommendation for daily water intake as below:
- 3.7 liters per day for men, approximately 13 cups of water a day.
- 2.7 liters per day for women, approximately 9 cups of water a day.
However, the water intake may differ in person. You might need to adjust your daily water intake based on several factors:
- Environment – People who live in a hot environment suffer more water loss in the body. Therefore, he/she might require more water per day.
- Lifestyle – Those who have an active lifestyle need more water on average.
- Eating Habits – Eating habits can also affect how much water you need to drink in a day. For instance, you will likely need more water if your diet is high in salt, spicy or sugary food,
- Drinking Habits – If you drink a lot of coffee and other caffeinated beverages, though these are drinks, then you might lose more water due to extra urination.
Why Do We Need To Drink Enough Water?
Water is so important. Why? Above all, you will look your best when you’re hydrated. In addition, your body needs enough fluid to function properly too.
How Do I Know If I’m Drinking Enough?
If you rarely feel thirsty or your urine is colorless or light yellow, that means your daily water intake is probably adequate. What happens if your water intake is inadequate? It will cause dehydration – which means you use or lose more fluid than you take in. Symptoms of dehydration might include:
- Dry mouth and tongue
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Muscle cramps and weakness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Rapid heartbeat and breathing
- Sunken eyes
- Dark color urine and strong-smelling pee
Benefits of Drinking Enough Water:
- Helping you eliminate waste through bowel movements, urine and sweat.
- Energizing your muscles and tissues.
- Keeping your body temperature within normal range.
- Aiding digestion.
- Preventing constipation.
- Improving skin complexion as your skin stays hydrated.
- Maintaining body regularity.
- Relieving fatigue and weakness.
Who’s At Risk Of Dehydration?
It’s normal to lose water from your body through sweating, urinating, tears and saliva. However, excessive water loss from the body might cause your body at the risk of dehydration. Here are some examples:
- People who have severe diarrhoea or vomiting might lose the most water from the body.
- Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes patients can pee a lot if the disease is uncontrolled.
- Children or adults ill with a sore throat or cold may not want to eat or drink.
- Some people who are actively involved in activities in a hot climate or environment might lead to a higher body temperature and need more water.
- Babies are most likely to get dehydrated as the young ones can’t tell you they’re thirsty or get their own drink.
Tips For Drinking Enough Water
It is always a good idea to bring with you a water bottle. We have a good selection of 100% BPA free water bottles to keep your drinks healthy and odorless! If you’re not a fan of drinking plain water, no worries, we have some tips here to make boring water more exciting!
- Add some fresh fruits into plain water. Get yourself a few slices of lemon or orange, even with the berry and add them to plain water.
- Try flavored sparkling water to get the fizz you love without all of the sugar and calories. Add some ice cubes into it if you like to.
- Simply put your water bottles filled with plain water into a freezer and have them in an icy cool way!
- Sometimes it isn’t the question of how much water bottle should I drink a day, you didn’t drink enough water just because you’re too busy to have a sip! Try to have a water bottle with smart tracking or reminders. It works with your Android or iPhone and sends reminders to you when it’s time to have a sip.
Get enough water drinking each day now. It is the easiest way to keep you stay fresh and cool, and perhaps the most crucial thing to maintain your health and well-being.